Wednesday 20 March 2013

Dormouse

I had a couple in my gallery recently who mentioned that they had found a dormouse nest on a flower pot in their garden and as they were planting out the flower it contained they removed the nest not knowing what it was only to discover a tiny sleeping Dormouse inside, I do hope it survived this disturbance. This reminded me of an old nest I once found in the woods at Corhill, Sidmouth which amazingly I still have amongst my collection of discarded snake skins, old birds nests, snail shells etc picked up on my walks. So I used this to do this little watercolour of a hibernating Dormouse in its nest which for real would be totally enclosed for warmth. It is amazing how something so small can survive through all the cold and damp winter weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment